Monday 21 January 2013

Earphone tidy and cosy...how to solve the tangled wire issue

Dear friends, isn't it wonderful when outside it is snowing and you are on the sofa, ready for guiltless rubbish TV?? What happens when, instead, your TV only shows you THREE channels, sort of 1950 style, due to lack of signal in your area and the most interesting programme of the lot is a snooker match??? What do you do? Well, in my case, I came up with a earphone tidy and cosy! Since I made my iPad cover (yes, I know, I still have to write to you about it...), the "tangle earphone wire" issue has been bothering me big time. I failed to think about a closure to the back pocket of my iPad, so the earphones, which I keep there, often fall in my bag and become a mess in no time.
So tonight, while a very exciting snooker match was shown on TV, I took all my scraps of felt and started thinking how to make an earphone tidy and cosy. I was inspired by this little rabbit tidy, but sort of made my own along the way.
So here it is, my earphone tidy and cosy. It looks a little like Little Red Riding Hood to me...

If you want to make one, you'll need:
  • The free template I have made for you (not for commercial use please!)
  • Scraps of felt; I have used red for the outer and yellow for the inner part, pink for the hair, white for the face and blue for the heart appliqué
  • A little piece of sturdy but flexible material; I found the perfect material in a plastic disposable bowl. Or you could use some cardboard
  • Thread to match
  • Pinking shears
  • A pair of snap fasteners (or Velcro)
  • All purpose glue


First, cut two hearts out of felt using your pinking shears, one out the red piece, one out of the yellow.
Then cut the plastic bowl; shape it to make the inner support part of the earphone cosy using the template.
Cut the hole in the red (outer) heart through which the face will show.
Cut the face out of white felt; this will be slightly larger than the hole to allow it to be sewn at the back.
Sew by hand the white circle to the red heart; I used a simple running stitch.
Now have fun embroidering the eyes and mouth of Little Red Riding Hood...
Cut and stitch the heart appliqué (or any other appliqué you like...) on the front of the earphone cosy, and the hair. For the heart I've used blanket stitching, for the hair I have used again running stitching.
Now place the two snap fasteners on the yellow (inner) part of the cosy, so that they can snap easily leaving space for the earphone wire in the middle. Stitch them to the felt.
Glue the plastic support to the back of the red heart, centring it so that some space is left all around to stitch the outer and inner felt parts together.
Then glue the support to the yellow (inner) part.
Now stitch all around the felt to secure the two pieces together, using a running stitch.
And that is it! I hope you have enjoyed my first tutorial with template; and if you make an earphone tidy and cosy, it would be great if you could post a picture of it on my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/virtagegetscrafty... and don't forget to like it! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment